- Project proponent should submit evidence of payment to the Federal Ministry of Environment, Environmental Assessment Department, and collect project registration/Notification form.
- Proponent return completed EIA registration form with EIA Terms of Reference (ToR) and comprehensive project proposal for the proposed project to the ministry.
Initial Environmental Examination (IEE)
- Site verification of the proposed project location is conducted by the Ministry
- Scoping of the project
- EIA screening of the project scope and ToR alongside with the report of the site verification for the EIA categorization
Evaluation and Analysis
- The EIA study is carried out including baseline environmental data gathering and laboratory analysis of collected samples witnessed by the Ministry –two seasons.
- Submission of hard copies (depending on magnitude & category) and an electronic copy of the draft EIA report to the Ministry.
- The draft EIA report is displayed for public review and participation depending on the EIA category the report is classified.
- The draft EIA report is reviewed by an independent Panel of Experts with relevant regulators (the review level depends on the category of the project).
- The approval or disapproval of the EIA of the product by the Ministry base on the recommendations of the independent panel of experts.
- The final EIA report is produced by the proponent
- Submission and approval of the final EIA report for issuance of EIA certificate and EIS. Impact Mitigation Monitoring (IMM)
- Impact Mitigation Monitoring is carried out on the project by the Ministry in collaboration with states MENV and Local Government s to ensure the implementation of:
- Conditions of approval
- Implementation of mitigation measure
- At the commissioning of the project decommissioning IMM is close-out for the environmental compliance monitoring.
- Publication of the EIS of the project
- EIA Audit of the project is conducted and reviewed every three years during the project operational life cycle.
- This is carried out at the end of the project life cycle.
There is no timeline on the doc
Project proponent are required to pay a registration fee of N50, 000 payable to Federal Ministry of Environment, Environmental Assessment Department in TSA (www.remita.net).
Verify update on procedure and fees at https://environment.gov.ng/application-for-eia/ or
CONTACT THE FEDERAL MINISTRY OF ENVIRONMENT MORE INFORMATION AT:
EIA Contact Personnel: Director, Environmental Assessment Department
Email Address: email@example.com
Phone Number: (+234) 0803 331 6437
Office: Environmental Assessment Dept, Environment House, Independence Way, Central Area, Abuja